Friday, April 16, 2010

What do you do?

Fortunately with my job I get to stay home with my children a few days a week.  This day we chose to stay home, take a walk and play around the house (and do a little spring cleaning before our playdate this weekend!) 
I had ALOT of things to do today!  I put sister in the high chair for a few minutes, while I sorted through the bills.  I turned my back to both the kids and focused on that task for just a minute.  I knew she wasn't going anywhere strapped in, so I didn't turn around and check on them.  But, what I hadn't thought about was, what was Luke doing? 
I heard something right behind me, but I was so focused on the bills I didn't register what was going on.  All of a sudden, I heard Luke say, "Wow, look at this!"  As I turned around, I completely lost my breath and gasped!  He found a screwdriver and decided to scrap marks in the dishwasher.  I was so shocked and surprised, I really could not figure out how to respond.  The only thing that I could think of was, do I send him to time-out, do I spank him, WHAT DO I DO??  But, instead of either of those, all I could think about was that I had done something so similar when I was his age. 

My parents had me at a very young age...My Momma was 20 and my Daddy wasn't much older.  So they were so young and had not established careers when they had me and my brother, so what I'm trying to say is, "we were living on love :)"  So, when I was little we lived in a house trailer for a few years, no not the nice double wide :), a sweet single wide.  I still remember living in that house trailer...alot of good memories.  That's where I learned to ride my bike, where I learned how to balance on my very first balance beam (that my Daddy built for me), where I learned all the songs from the 8 track of "Urban Cowboy" and lots of time spent out in the country.  The trailer sat on the land that my parents owned and farmed for years and the very spot that they ended up building their beautiful Acadiana style home. 
So, back to the trailer...one afternoon I decided to take a crayola crayon and draw a line completely around the trailer.  I drew a line from one side to the other...as I was doing this, it never occurred to me that I was doing something wrong.  I thought, "This looks great and I bet my parents are going to love this!"  I still remember my Momma's reaction.  To think of it, it was exactly the same as mine today!  I remember my Momma doing the same thing as I did this afternoon.  When my Daddy got home she said, "Bud, have Shannon show you what she did today."  So, I proudly walked him around the trailer and showed off my work.  He seemed pretty calm, but I got a good talkin' to that day!!  His reaction was similar to Jon's.  (but, I called Jon soon after it happened, because I knew if I waited until he came home and saw this, he would have lost it!)  While we sat at the dinner table, I did the same as my Momma did with me and asked Luke to show his Daddy what he did today.  Luke walked over to the dish washer and held his hands out like Vanna White and showed off his work.  Oh, he's something else! 
 At dinner this evening I shared my story of the trailer incident and Jon shared a similar story too.  When he was Luke's age he played "tic tac toe" on his parents' leather ottoman...with a KNIFE!!!  I can only imagine his parents reaction!  OH, I would have just died!!  I would guess or hope that everyone has a similar story! :0  Please share if you do...

So, today with Luke's little incident, it brought me back to that time and I could only think, maybe he thinks this looks fantastic...so take a look below at his art work! 

3 comments:

czstout said...

Wow!! Don't know what I would have done :)

Growing up we had a couch that was Hawaiian looking {to me at least}. Anyway it had palm leaves all over it that we just outlined, so I took it upon myself to color them in one day with a marker! I got pretty far before I was caught, and my punishment must not have been that severe because I don't remember it :)

Can't wait to see what trouble Joey gets into :)

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Oh no!!!!!!! I wonder when my first "art" incident will occur! :)

Lori said...

Okay, I hate your blog, even though I love it. I ALWAYS forget to check it because it doesn't pop up as new. So we MUST remedy that situation. Soon.

Anywho, my comment... aren't kids the greatest?